Nothing gives a 21st Century girl more of an insight into the real ins-and-outs of Precode Hollywood than behind the scene images. Sometimes just promotional shots put out by studio publicity departments or perhaps something more telling, backstage photos are always amongst my favourite images of Precode actors and actresses. They often provide viewers a special insight into the process behind the making of a film from technology to costume and makeup design to the job of a director. Below are some of the most interesting in my collection. I plan to do a few more posts featuring these images, so keep watching!
2) Director, Frank Borzage, watches on as Gary Cooper initiates a love scene with Helen Hayes in ‘A Farwell to Arms’ (1932)
3) Henry Wilcoxon and Claudette Colbert chat to director, Cecil B. DeMille, on the set of ‘Cleopatra’ (1934)
4) Fredric March (aka Mr Hyde) with director Rouben Mamoulian and a cheeky Miriam Hopkins on the set of ‘Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde’ (1931)
7) Greta Garbo and Clark Gable catch a secret moment on the set of ‘Susan Lenox (Her Rise and Fall)’ (1931)
10) Director Howard Hawks with Carole Lombard and John Barrymore during filming of ‘Twentieth Century’ (1934)
(This film was released seven years before Lombard and Gable married. Rumour has it they didn’t get on during the making of the film, funny how things change.)